The Outreach and Social Justice Committee of St. John’s, Worthington– along with many individual members of the congregation – reaches out to support all of God’s children where there is a need. This includes the people of St. John’s parish, our local community, our state, our country and the world as a whole. Under the Outreach umbrella there are many ministries which are supported either monetarily and/or by volunteer help. As the need arises new ministries are added to the present list.
There are numerous opportunities to get involved in this very rewarding mission:
- Participate in one of our many Outreach and Social Justice Ministries.
- Join the Outreach and Social Justice Committee. We welcome new members at any time! The Committee meets throughout the year as needed. For more information please contact the church office.
Following are some of our Outreach and Social Justice Ministries. To learn more, download our brochure with a complete listing and contact information for each ministry.
- Friendship Dinner: On the last Thursday evening of each month, members of St. John’s Worthington provide a free spaghetti dinner to those in our community in need of a meal or fellowship. Dinner is served at 6:30. Other area churches also provide meals throughout the month.
- In The Garden Ministry: Every other month volunteers from St. John’s prepare and serve a meal at Trinity Episcopal Church on Capital Square in Columbus, where a worship service and and meal is provided to the homeless or minimally-housed.
- His Place Community Dinner at St. John’s Columbus: Twice a year volunteers prepare and serve a meal at St. John’s Town Street to help bring hope and healing to the surrounding Franklinton neighborhood.
- The B.R.E.A.D. Organization (Building Responsibility, Equality, and Dignity): A ministry St. John’s shares with congregations throughout central Ohio to help identify and bring resolution to serious community problems and social injustices.
- Worthington Resource Pantry and Gladden Food Pantry: Making suggested donations of food and (and money) weekly to the food pantry serving the Worthington and Franklinton areas and volunteering at the food pantry sites.
- Habitat for Humanity: Participating in the Worthington Adopt-A-House Partnership to build affordable housing for area families.
- COMPASS: We provide money and referrals to COMPASS, a local nonprofit Christian organization that assists individuals and families in need.
- Ronald McDonald House: John’s supports the families of seriously ill children by volunteering, collecting soda tabs, and donating needed items.
- Kindway: We support this innovative offender reentry program through informational and fundraising activities. Go to http://www.kindway.net/ for more information about Kindway.
- CHOICES for Victims of Domestic Violence: Supporting those affected by domestic violence by donating needed items.
- Tools for Schools: St. John’s makes an annual donation of office and school supplies to an agency that serves underprivileged youth in the Columbus metropolitan area.
- PiMiL (Partners in Ministry in Liberia): We provide tuition assistance for two children in Liberia so they can receive education from kindergarten through college, and give financial support for school-related projects of school repairs and educational materials.
- El Hogar de Amor y Esperanza: We have done several mission trips to Honduras to work with the children and staff of this orphanage and school. We also support them financially.